Led By: Mary Weberg
Contact Phone: 651-388-8337
Ministry Team Members: Bill Habedank, John & Renee Schlegelmilch, Cheri & Tom Sasse, Nancy Thorson, Wendy Erickson, Mary Weberg
Purpose of the Christian Action Ministry Team:
To plan and lead the social outreach of the congregation in response to the needs of our community and
During 2018 the Christian Action Ministry Team concentrated on raising awareness, donations and volun-
teers for the following:
1. Red Wing Area Foodshelf: During March money was raised to help the Red Wing Area Foodshelf purchase food in bulk from the Rochester Channel One Food Bank. Donations of food and paper products were also received.
2. Goodhue County Habitat for Humanity: First Lutheran Church provided a comfortable space for a youth group from Illinois to eat their noon meal. This delightful group spent a week in Red Wing working on the Habitat for Humanity home being built. In August First Lutheran Church provided workers and a meal for the Goodhue County Habitat Home being built at 130 East 4th Street for the Peterson family. First Lutheran Christian Action budget includes a monthly contribution.
3. CROP (Communities Responding to Overcome Poverty) Walk: CROP walk is a community led fundraiser to end hunger. The purpose is to bring awareness to the millions of people around the world who walk miles every day in search of food and water. 25% of the funds raised goes to our local food shelf.
4. Goodhue County Christmas Project: The number of families requesting help was down this year. First Lutheran Church helped 8 families with a total of 18 children. The congregation generously provided gifts of clothing for the children and money toward a family food basket. Toys for the children were provided by the local Toys for Tots program. The First Lutheran Quilters provided a quilt for each family.
5. Hope Coalition (Community Care Fund): This fund provides emergency financial assistance and temporary housing to families in Red Wing. First Lutheran makes a monthly contribution to Hope Coalition for the Community Care Fund.
6. Youth Outreach: Red Wing Youth Outreach provides mentorship and support for youth at risk helping them to become productive citizens. First Lutheran Church makes a monthly contribution to Youth Outreach. Mentors and donations of personal hygiene products continue to be a need.
7. Feed My Starving Children: In November 25 members of First Lutheran Church signed up to pack meals for undernourished people around the world. The group traveled to Eagan and along with volunteers from other communities packed nearly 56,000 meals in two hours. This Christmas First Lutheran Church members contributed money to provide meals for a family of four for one year ($365).
8. Faith In Action: This non-profit, interfaith organization of volunteers provides transportation for individual’s appointments to local doctors, clinics and other personal needs. It also provides hourly visits to homebound individuals plus respite care for full time caregivers and book-house calls for individuals. Road to Recovery, sponsored by the American Cancer Society, provides transportation for the receivers of radiation treatments to Rochester and the Twin Cities. The mission is to help individuals remain independent. This re-
warding service to our church and community is always looking for more volunteers. If interested in becom-
ing a volunteer, please contact the Faith In Action office at 327-2400.
2018 again saw an increased need in our community for volunteers to help those much less fortunate than us. Many of you have donated your time, talents and money to help families within the Red Wing Community and beyond to meet their basic needs. Thank you to those of you this year that made quilts, donated food items, money or work time to the food shelf, worked on a Habitat for Humanity remodeling project, participated in the Red Wing CROP Walk or bought gifts or donated money to the Christmas Project. Thank you to our own Christian Action team members and Christmas Project helpers who have served faithfully for many years.
Please help those in need by becoming more involved with our Christian Action projects in 2018. Please continue or start sharing some of your time and talents. Join us as a team member or project helper to enable us to improve and expand our outreach to our community and beyond.